Much much does a Hawaiian island cost? Recently the sixth-largest of the Hawaiian islands, Lanai, was purchased by the third-riches American, Larry Ellison. Ellison's net worth is estimated to be around $36 billion and the purchase of the island is thought to have cost Ellison somewhere north of $500 million. Lanai is home to about 3,100 people and Ellison purchased about 98% of the island, the state of Hawaii owns the other 2%.
A Hawaiian islands has more than five times better views than a $100 million New York City penthouse. The island is said to come with amenities such as two resorts.
If you don't have half a billion dollars burning a whole in your p
ants, you still may be able to afford your own private island. Websites such as Private Islands Online list private islands for sale. Depending on the location, you can score a private island of your own for as little as $100,000.